Transforming a static library to a DLL

Dave Korn dave.korn@artimi.com
Tue Apr 17 13:39:00 GMT 2007

On 17 April 2007 14:21, Brian Dessent wrote:

[ other issues aside, ... ]

>>    gcc -shared -o cygmathlib.dll \
>>        -Wl,--enable-auto-image-base \
>>        -Wl,--out-implib=libmathlib.dll.a \
>>        -Wl,--enable-auto-import
>>        -Wl,--whole-archive libmathlib.a \
>>        -Wl,--no-whole-archive -lg2c
>>
>> but it fails with a lot of :
>> -------------------------------------
>> libmathlib.a(arithm.o):cccrN4fn.f:(.text+0x17): undefined reference to
>> `_funct_' libmathlib.a(arithm.o):cccrN4fn.f:(.text+0x154): undefined
>> reference to `_funct_' libmathlib.a(d501l1.o):cc44FCLd.f:(.text+0x2dd):
>> undefined reference to `_dvset_' ...
>> -------------------------------------
>>
>> Perhaps I have forgot to add some other library on command line.
>
> I don't know.  You'll have to use nm/ar to look around and see where
> these missing symbols are defined.  It could be a missing library, it
> could be a link order problem, or it could be that some preprocessor
> symbol was in the wrong state (i.e. defined when it shouldn't be or
> missing when it was required, ala -DFOO_STATIC or -DBUILDING_FOO or
> -DFOO_DLL etc.) when the objects were compiled which caused __declspec
> declarations to be wrong.  It all depends on the design of the library.

  It's almost inevitable, isn't it?  A static (.a) library can have undefined
external references, but on 'doze, a shared library (== a DLL) can't have any
- unlike a linux .so, which needn't be fully resolved until it's dynamically
loaded by ld.so at runtime.

    cheers,
      DaveK