bash: tar: command not found

Dave Korn dave.korn@artimi.com
Thu Apr 12 15:27:00 GMT 2007

On 12 April 2007 16:19, Cheney, Christian wrote:

>>> Don't extract things using non-Cygwin tools unless you really know what
>>> you're doing (or have been told to do so).  You can make a real mess doing
>>> this.
> I would've used CYGWIN, but, unfortunately, tar didn't work ;)

  You've destroyed your installation.

  See, we told you it was bad.

  Specifically, you've gone and created a real /usr/bin directory, when
normally it is only a mount point that mirrors /bin.  That's because winzip
doesn't know about cygwin mountpoints.  If it had been untarred by an earlier
cygwin tar, or by setup.exe which *does* respect cygwin mountpoints, it would
have ended up in the right place: /bin, and been *visible* in /usr/bin too.

  This means that tar.exe has been unpacked into C:\cygwin\usr\bin.  That's
why setup thinks it's installed.  But you can't find it in your $PATH or
anything, because when cygwin goes to look in /usr/bin (which is where tar.exe
has been put by winzip), it actually looks in your /bin dir.  And doesn't find
it.

  That's why setup thinks it's installed but cygcheck reports "Not Found:
tar".

  The fix would be to go into your C:\cygwin\usr directory, using a DOS shell
or windows explorer, and delete the bin dir.  Then re-run setup.exe, telling
it to "install from local directory", just click on ok to everything all the
way through, and it should reinstall everything that you deleted to the
correct place.

>>> FWIW, 'setup.exe' reports 'tar-1.16.1-1.tar.bz2' as a 696K file.
> I guess it doesn't really make sense to send the unzipped file, but I
> was referring to tar-1.16.1-1.tar, which is 2MB.

  Whatever you do, please do not send this to the list!  (And I don't want it
either; I suspect the file itself is good, and it's only your use of winzip
that has caused the problem).

    cheers,
      DaveK