perl problem with cygwin path

Mike R Brown mike_brown@agilent.com
Mon Apr 9 13:37:00 GMT 2007

Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> Mike R Brown wrote:
>

>> Matthew Woehlke wrote:

>>> That is indeed a good question, since the latest available 'perl'
>>> from kernel.org is 5.8.7-5. The full output of 'perly -v' (that's the
>>> questionable perl) may tell you something.
>>>
>> They look very simular other than revision.
>>
>> ----------------------
>> This is perl, v5.8.7 built for cygwin-thread-multi-64int
>> (with 1 registered patch, see perl -V for more detail)
>>
>> Copyright 1987-2005, Larry Wall
>>
>> Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License
>> or the
>> GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5 source kit.
>>
>> Complete documentation for Perl, including FAQ lists, should be found on
>> this system using `man perl' or `perldoc perl'.  If you have access to
>> the
>> Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.org/, the Perl Home Page.
>> ---------------------
>> - and -
>> ---------------------
>> This is perl, v5.8.8 built for cygwin-thread-multi-64int
>> (with 33 registered patches, see perl -V for more detail)
>>
>> Copyright 1987-2006, Larry Wall
>>
>> Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License
>> or the
>> GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5 source kit.
>>
>> Complete documentation for Perl, including FAQ lists, should be found on
>> this system using `man perl' or `perldoc perl'.  If you have access to
>> the
>> Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.org/, the Perl Home Page.
>> ---------------------
>>
>> Looking closer I see there is a perl -V test that shows much more
>> information. I didn't check that out.  Unfortunately the other machine
>> won't be back on line until next week.  Will to the -V test and see
>> what it looks like.  Still curious as to how it got uploaded to at
>> least one mirror.
>

> You may have used a "3rd-party" site as well.  There are sites out there
> that have set themselves up to deliver packages in the 'setup.exe' format.
> Once you add one of these sites to your list, 'setup.exe' continues to
> use it until you tell it now to.  So if you're curious, you should check
> the sites that 'setup.exe' presents on the machine with Perl 5.8.8.  You
> can also pull to you local system a package from another site and install
> it that way with 'setup.exe'.  The point is that there are ways of
> installing packages that aren't part of the distribution.  Somehow, you've
> managed to do that here, since 5.8.8 isn't part of the Cygwin distribution.

	I assumed that she just picked a mirror from the setup.exe supplied list.  I
guess she may have done something other.  I will ask.  I also did a perl -V and
yes this version of perl was not compiled for cygwin...

  Built under MSWin32
   Compiled at Aug 29 2006 12:42:41
   @INC:
     c:/Perl/site/lib
     c:/Perl/lib

	This whole thing is a bit strange.  I will find out just what site she used and
see if that leads to anything.  I had thought it was the same site she install
all of Cygwin from.  Hopefully she didn't get other odd packages as well.

Thanks for the help,
Mike