Escape colour codes

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad@users.sourceforge.net
Tue Apr 3 21:56:00 GMT 2007

Thorsten Kampe wrote:
> lftp and yafc show a wrong prompt in the following terminals: cmd, 4nt,
>> console and far manager. Basically each coloured part of the prompt is
>> surrounded by two "funny faces" - the first is white and the second has
>> the desired colour.

I don't know what these are. Are they non-Cygwin applications that are
looking at the environment variable 'PS1'? Cygwin apps (e.g. 'printf')
should cope with escapes correctly even in Windows consoles (otherwise
even bash would not work).

> Obvioulsy all Windows terminals can't interpret those "non-visible
> characters" (or they don't ignore them like they should or readline
> doesn't "eat" them like it should).
>
> Where is the culprit here? Cygwin readline not correctly interacting
> with non Cygwin terminals? Windows terminals not understanding common
> readline(?) escape characters?

Windows consoles don't understand escapes, period. Also AFAIK nothing
except readline understands \[ and \]. But Cygwin understands escapes so
Cygwin applications should work even in a Windows console.

> Is there a way to solve the issue?

Don't use escapes in non-Cygwin programs.

--
Matthew
Obscurity: +5