Cygwin snapshot and 'last-cache' file

Brian Dessent brian@dessent.net
Tue Apr 3 21:23:00 GMT 2007

Angelo Graziosi wrote:

> The file /etc/setup/last-cache contains path in DOS-like style:
>
>    C:\cygwin\home\Angelo\Downloads\cygwin
>
> When a script tries to retrive this information from 'last-cache' under
> the snapshot (for 1.7.0 release) there is the warning:
>
>   cygwin warning:
>   MS-DOS style path detected: C:/cygwin/home/Angelo/Downloads/cygwin
>   Preferred POSIX equivalent is: /home/Angelo/Downloads/cygwin
>   CYGWIN environment variable option "nodosfilewarning" turns off this
>   warning.
>   Consult the user's guide for more details about POSIX paths:
>     http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#using-pathnames
>
> ... and I remember some discussion (MAKE-3.81 etc.) in which you were
> reluctanct in accepting the DOS-like paths.

I don't get it.  The script (what script?!?) should be updated to use
cygpath on the value read from the file, e.g. dldir=$(cygpath -f
/etc/setup/last-cache), just like any script that reads a key from the
registry or some program's .ini settings file or whatever.  The fact
that setup.exe happens to store its internal settings as a win32 path is
an internal detail, the file was never meant to be read by anything
else.  Besides, setup.exe is not a Cygwin app so storing its settings as
posix paths would just be extra hassle.

Brian