[ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated [experimental]: bash-3.1-7

mwoehlke mwoehlke@tibco.com
Mon Sep 11 18:33:00 GMT 2006

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 11, 2006 at 01:04:30PM -0500, mwoehlke wrote:
>> Eric Blake wrote:
>>> NOTICE:
>>> =======
>>> This version removes several outdated #defines that were once necessary in
>>> older versions of cygwin, but which made bash on cygwin different and
>>> slower than bash on Linux.  In the process, there is a major change in
>>> behavior - bash no longer forces text mode when reading scripts.  If your
>>> script resides on a text mount point, you will not notice any difference.
>>>  If your script resides on a binary mount point, and has normal unix \n
>>> line endings, you may notice a slight speedup.  But if your script resides
>>> on a binary mount point, and has \r\n line endings, bash will most likely
>>> encounter syntax errors.  The fix is simple - use d2u to convert script
>>> files residing on a binary mount point to be unix files, or if you must
>>> use DOS lines, use a text mount point.  Because of this change in
>>> behavior, I am marking this version experimental for a while until I can
>>> gauge from mailing list traffic that it is safe to promote to current.
>> When starting the experimental version with "c:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe -l".
>> I get:
>>
>> mkdir: cannot create directory `/home/mwoehlke\r': No such file or directory
>> Copying skeleton files.
>> These files are for the user to personalise
>> their cygwin experience.
>> These will never be overwritten.
>> /usr/bin/install: cannot create directory `/home/mwoehlke\r': No such
>> file or directory
>> /usr/bin/install: cannot create directory `/home/mwoehlke\r': No such
>> file or directory
>> /usr/bin/install: cannot create directory `/home/mwoehlke\r': No such
>> file or directory
>> : No such file or directory
>> mwoehlke@Harkness /etc/skel
>> $
>>
>> So $HOME is being set wrong. "echo $HOME | od -c" gives " /   h   o   m
>>  e   /   m   w   o   e   h   l   k   e  \r  \n". "echo %HOME%" from a
>> fresh cmd.exe gives "C:/Documents and Settings/mwoehlke". I ran d2u on
>> /etc/profile, /etc/default/etc/profile and /etc/passwd.
>>
>> If I 'export HOME=/home/mwoehlke', then things work correctly.
>>
>> Somehow, before /etc/profile is executed, my $HOME is being set "funny".
>> Any guesses?
>
> Does your /etc/passwd contain \r\n line endings?

No...
> I ran d2u on /etc/profile, /etc/default/etc/profile and /etc/passwd.

Besides, $HOME is colon-separated, with data after it, so even if it
does/did, it seems like something else would be going wrong if this
caused $HOME to have a '\r' on the end.

I don't think this is the answer, but I'm attaching a new cygcheck
output just in case.

--
Matthew
KATE: Awesome Text Editor