[ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated [experimental]: bash-3.1-7

mwoehlke mwoehlke@tibco.com
Mon Sep 11 18:04:00 GMT 2006

Eric Blake wrote:
> NOTICE:
> =======
> This version removes several outdated #defines that were once necessary in
> older versions of cygwin, but which made bash on cygwin different and
> slower than bash on Linux.  In the process, there is a major change in
> behavior - bash no longer forces text mode when reading scripts.  If your
> script resides on a text mount point, you will not notice any difference.
>   If your script resides on a binary mount point, and has normal unix \n
> line endings, you may notice a slight speedup.  But if your script resides
> on a binary mount point, and has \r\n line endings, bash will most likely
> encounter syntax errors.  The fix is simple - use d2u to convert script
> files residing on a binary mount point to be unix files, or if you must
> use DOS lines, use a text mount point.  Because of this change in
> behavior, I am marking this version experimental for a while until I can
> gauge from mailing list traffic that it is safe to promote to current.

When starting the experimental version with "c:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe -l".
I get:

mkdir: cannot create directory `/home/mwoehlke\r': No such file or directory
Copying skeleton files.
These files are for the user to personalise
their cygwin experience.
These will never be overwritten.
/usr/bin/install: cannot create directory `/home/mwoehlke\r': No such
file or directory
/usr/bin/install: cannot create directory `/home/mwoehlke\r': No such
file or directory
/usr/bin/install: cannot create directory `/home/mwoehlke\r': No such
file or directory
: No such file or directory
mwoehlke@Harkness /etc/skel
$

So $HOME is being set wrong. "echo $HOME | od -c" gives " /   h   o   m
   e   /   m   w   o   e   h   l   k   e  \r  \n". "echo %HOME%" from a
fresh cmd.exe gives "C:/Documents and Settings/mwoehlke". I ran d2u on
/etc/profile, /etc/default/etc/profile and /etc/passwd.

If I 'export HOME=/home/mwoehlke', then things work correctly.

Somehow, before /etc/profile is executed, my $HOME is being set "funny".
Any guesses?

--
Matthew
KATE: Awesome Text Editor