probe and set terminal type when shell is spawned

Carlo Florendo subscribermail@gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 01:32:00 GMT 2006

Hello,

Is it possible for me to automatically set the TERM variable in bash
depending on the type of my terminal.

For example, these are the things I want to accomplish:

1.  If I ssh into the cygwin box from an xterm on a Linux box, I would
like TERM=xterm-color.
2.  If I simply spawn a DOS-like shell, I'd like TERM=ansi
3.  If I spawn an rxvt console, I'd like TERM=xterm.

I know this can be done manually but would it be possible for us to
create a script to do this?
If so, what cygwin program can we use to probe the terminal type of the
connecting client?

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Carlo