Cygwin NTFS permission listing oddness.

Linda Walsh cygwin@tlinx.org
Mon Oct 30 02:10:00 GMT 2006

I was messing with my theme libs and noted the following differences in
how CYGWIN displays the attributes and Groups:
-rwx------+ 1 Administrators None           214K Aug  7  2004 uxtheme.dll*
-rwxrwx---+ 1 Administrators SYSTEM         214K Aug  4  2004
uxtheme.dll-old*
-rwxrwx---+ 1 Administrators Administrators 214K Aug  4  2004 uxtheme.old*

They all seem to have the same file attribs:
/windows/system32> attrib ux\*
A          C:\windows\system32\uxtheme.dll
A          C:\windows\system32\uxtheme.dll-old
A          C:\windows\system32\uxtheme.old

More importantly, they all seem to have the same ACL's attached:
/windows/system32> xcacls uxtheme\*
C:\windows\system32\uxtheme.dll BUILTIN\Administrators:F
                                BUILTIN\Power Users:C
                                NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:F
                                BUILTIN\Users:R
C:\windows\system32\uxtheme.dll-old BUILTIN\Administrators:F
                                    BUILTIN\Power Users:C
                                    NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:F
                                    BUILTIN\Users:R
C:\windows\system32\uxtheme.old BUILTIN\Administrators:F
                                BUILTIN\Power Users:C
                                NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:F
                                BUILTIN\Users:R
"CYGWIN" has value "notitle glob:ignorecase export" (so no special security
settings).

I thought Cygwin derived it's user/group/permissions from the NT security
settings.  Is this not the case?

Thanks,
-linda