File permissions screwy (chown - chmod - ssh - rsync - ntsec??)

Tue Oct 24 21:27:00 GMT 2006

psyjoniz wrote:

<snip>

> status:  ssh works but with permissions issues; rsync works but with
> permissions issues
>
> issues:  permissions do not seem to be handled properly within my cygwin
> environment.  this causes two issues:  1) ssh cannot be setup with public
> keys for authentication because perms can't be set to 'r--------' on the
> (XP) key file (rsync automation depends on this ability) and 2) when i set
> the 'p' flag when running rsync it goes to the slave box and touches all
> files that exist on the host box regardless if they are in need of update
> causing rsync's wonderful ability to sync things quickly go straight down
> the crapper plus it makes the perms on the sun box go screwy (yes, i can
> take off the p flag but it still does not fix the ssh key problem).
>
> http://www.nabble.com/file/3825/cygcheck.txt cygcheck.txt
>
> yes, i have searched.
>
> i've run:
> mkpasswd -d > /etc/passwd
> mkgroup -d > /etc/group
>
> i've set (in both .bash_profile [set CYGWIN=ntsec;export $CYGWIN;] and
> global env for xp)
>
> :: reboot ::
>
> cygwin cmd line results..
> //--------------------------------------------//
> JQuattlebaum@TPA-WRK-008072 ~
> $ echo $CYGWIN
> ntsec
>
> JQuattlebaum@TPA-WRK-008072 ~
> $ touch test.file
>
> JQuattlebaum@TPA-WRK-008072 ~
> $ ls -la test.file
> -rw-r--r-- 1 JQuattlebaum Domain Users 0 Oct 24 15:02 test.file
>
> JQuattlebaum@TPA-WRK-008072 ~
> $ chmod 000 test.file
>
> JQuattlebaum@TPA-WRK-008072 ~
> $ ls -la test.file
> -r--r--r-- 1 JQuattlebaum Domain Users 0 Oct 24 15:02 test.file
>
> JQuattlebaum@TPA-WRK-008072 ~
> $ chmod 777 test.file
>
> JQuattlebaum@TPA-WRK-008072 ~
> $ ls -la test.file
> -rw-r--r-- 1 JQuattlebaum Domain Users 0 Oct 24 15:02 test.file
>
> i've also tried the -l option on both mkpasswd and mkgroup and manually
> modified both output files so that my current user has a valid group (not
> 'mkgroup') but still no dice.

I assume you're doing this testing from your home directory.  If that's the
case, you need to add 'smbntsec' to your CYGWIN variable.  See
<http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html>

Holliston, MA 01746