How do I kill a grandchild process from shell program?

Jim Seymour nntp.ff@thentao.com
Tue Oct 24 18:53:00 GMT 2006

Lev Bishop wrote:
> On 10/23/06, Jim Seymour <nntp.ff@thentao.com> wrote:
>
>> However, if things don't work fine, the background process sticks around
>> to plague me later.
>>
>> I'd like to end my main script by killing the background process (if
>> it's still around), but I'm having a helluva time figuring out HOW.
>
> How about:
> $ killall <progname>

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately, "killall" is not part of my Cygwin
installation - and I don't see which package contains it.

However, I may have solved my problem with this lovely mess:

    kill $!
    kill `ps | grep ocdremote | tr -s " " | cut -f2 -d " "`

The first "kill" stops the background bash process.  The second stops
the utility in question.  Not as elegant as I'd hoped, but it seems to
do the trick.

--
Jim Seymour