How to uninstall xorg-x11-devel and all things depending upon it?

Steve Robbins smr@sumost.ca
Mon Oct 23 15:32:00 GMT 2006

Hello,

I need to uninstall xorg-x11-devel.  I found this simple task to be
incredibly frustrating, so I'm posting my experience to see whether
there's an better way to do things.

I fired up Cygwin Setup, selected the package for uninstall, and
proceeded to the end.  However, there were a couple of packages
depending on xorg-x11-devel, including libXft-devel.  So I ended up on
a page informing me of these dependencies, which had a little checkbox
at the bottom to reinstall xorg-x11-devel so that dependencies were
unbroken.  The box was checked.  The first time through I didn't see
that box way down at the bottom of my screen and so nothing happened
when I clicked "Next".

Next time through, I saw the box.  So I went back and tried to find
the packages that depend on xorg-x11-devel.  The default view for
selecting packages is grouped by category.  I opened the X11 category,
but libXft-devel was nowhere to be found.  I couldn't find any way to
search for a package by name.  I tried using the "cygcheck" command,
but it didn't tell me anything about the package category.  Neither
did http://cygwin.com/packages/  Ultimately, I clued in that there is
a "Full" view where the packages are sorted by name.  So I was able to
find them.

I navigated the full view of hundreds of package names, found
libXft-devel, selected "Uninstall", navigated to xorg-x11-devel,
selected "Uninstall", then clicked "Next".  To my surprise, it was
telling me that uninstalling xorg-x11-devel would cause a problem
because libXft-devel depends on it.  I thought I had asked to remove
both.  So I went back and discovered that libXft-devel was selected
for "Keep".

This time I did it in the opposite order: first select xorg-x11-devel
for uninstall, then select libXft-devel for uninstall.  On the next
page, I got a message saying that removing libXft-devel will cause a
problem because xorg-x11-devel depends on it.

After another 10 minutes, I came to the following conclusions:
(1) Packages xorg-x11-devel and libXft-devel depend on each other.
(2) If one is selected for uninstall, then selecting the other for
uninstall undoes the first selection.

The only way I can see for uninstalling a package is to repeatedly
click on the "New" column, cycling through the various options:
"Skip", "x.y.z", "Keep", "Uninstall", etc.  My hypothesis for (2) is
that when I cycle through a particular version, it automatically
updates the dependencies to install.  But that's just a guess.

It may be that I'm misusing Cygwin Setup in some manner.  I'd be
interested in learning how to do this better.

On the other hand, I have used synaptic
(http://www.nongnu.org/synaptic/) with both Debian and RedHat systems.
  It works really well and I wonder if it could be adapted to cygwin
as well -- or perhaps its successor, the Smart Package Manager
(http://labix.org/smart).

Regards,
-Steve