fork: Resource temporarily unavailable

Thu Oct 19 20:39:00 GMT 2006

Andy Hall wrote:
> It seems that somewhere between cygwin 1.5.19-4 and 1.5.21-2 some change was
> made that causes this error.   I have a bash script that is used to create a
> number of client processes that run in parallel and generate TCP/IP
> conversations with a remote server being tested   This script can configure
> and run any number of these clients executing simultaneously.  The clients
> can be either .exe files based on .NET or a JVM (.exe) running a Java-based
> client.   These scripts run flawlessly on Linux or Solaris (java clients
> only) or on a Win2K Professional box running cygwin 1.5.19-4 (both java or
> .NET clients)   They were also running flawlessly on a Win2K Server, until
> it got upgraded to cygwin 1.5.2.21-2.   After that, the scripts run for a
> while until the message "fork: Resource temporarily unavailable" occurs, at
> which point there are all sorts of bizarre and unexplainable failures.  If
> run for a reasonable amount of time these scripts will always result in this
> error message.
>
> The obvious question is,  "How can we revert the Win2K Server back to cygwin
> 1.5.2.19.4 so that we can continue to run tests from this machine?
>
> Alternatively, is there fix or patch available for this?
>
> I have attached the output of cygcheck for both machines.

How does it run outside the terminal server?

Has the virus scanner been installed/updated on the server?  How about
recently installed Logitech drivers?  Both of these have been implicated
in fork-related failures.  See the related thread in the last week:

<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2006-10/msg00645.html>

Holliston, MA 01746