Shared home dir, samba workgroups and ssh

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Wed Oct 18 13:21:00 GMT 2006

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> As Larry proposed, "StrictModes no" or mapping .ssh to a local
> directory should help. Another choice would be to start sshd with
> "nontsec".
Pretty much as I suspected. I missed Larry's response. Sorry. But
Corina, you're response here will server others well I suspect.

While I can turn StrictModes to no on my server, I can't on the various
Unix machines I might log into at work.

How do you "map" the .ssh directory to a local directory? Would it be
something like mv ~/.ssh /cygdrive/c/myssh and then ln -s
/cygdrive/c/myssh ~/.ssh? Hmm.... I wonder how that would look/work when
I'm on a Unix machine (which shares my home directory) when I ssh from
one Unix machine to another...). As for starting with nontsec would that
be something like "CYGWIN=NONTSEC ssh <host>" at the command line?

On another front, and this may be of interest to others in restrictive
environments, I've downloaded and installed proxytunnel
(http://proxytunnel.com) since I cannot by default ssh from work to home
due to firewall restrictions. This works well and I have changed my
~/.ssh/config to define my home machine to use this proxytunnel thing.
However I noticed that while Cygwin's OpenSSH supports these entries in
the ~/.ssh/config file, some of the Unix/Linux machines @work barf at
it. Guess I could maintain two config files and do the associated magic
with aliases/functions/script in the like so that on Unix it ssh's
specifying an alternate config file and on Cygwin it starts with the
NONTSEC thing. What a bother though. I just want to be able to ssh into
a machine with a minimal amount of fuss...

--

Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Stop repeat offenders. Don't re-elect them!