Installing Cygwin on XP laptop part of a domain

Jay NYC jaytech@mailcan.com
Wed Oct 18 00:59:00 GMT 2006

Hi. Solely for the purpose of using Unison, I've done Cygwin installs on
over
50 WInXP desktops. However, the other day I ran into a problem, which
exposed my Unix
inexperience. I tried to install Cygwin on an XP desktop that was part of a
Windows Domain, as a result it put the users "home" in someplace I don't
understand. I did some
research and was confronted with all kinds of "mkpasswd" commands that
supposedly remedy the
situation but nothing worked.

I want to install Cygwin and NOT keep any files or home directories on the
Windows Server, I want everything self-contained in the XP desktop. I
want the users home right
where it always is. Too complicate things the system is actually a
laptop so when in the
office they are "on the domain" but when traveling they are "not". I
tried installing
"without having a network connection" but that didn't help.

Can someone who has experience installing Cygwin on a WinXP desktop part
of a
Windows Domain let me know what to do? Again, the only reason I am
installing Cygwin is
to run Unison.

Thanks

--Jay