1.5.21-2 CYGWIN1.DLL Invalid Page Fault (in a new thread)

Sun Oct 15 03:51:00 GMT 2006

Charles Brockman wrote:
> Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
>>> Here's some environment variables that may affect cygwin:
>>> CYGWIN = 'C:\CYGWIN'
>> I'd recommend getting rid of this setting.  It's incorrect.
>
> That relic is now gone.

Good.

>>> Looking to see where common programs can be found, if at all...
>>> Not Found: awk
>>> Not Found: bash
> [snip]
>> Given what you've installed, the above is not good.  It indicates that the
>> installation went awry somewhere.  You should try rerunning 'setup.exe' and
>> see if it just needs to finish installing things.
>
> I ran setup.exe on my local repository. It reported no problems and offered no
> files for installation.
>
>> If not, you may want to
>> try removing everything and installing again.
>
> I hid the old c:\cygwin directory and did a new, minimal installation, selecting
> just cygwin and its dependent files. At post-install I received numerous invalid
> page fault errors identical to the original while bash was attempting to run.
>
> Thinking that my cygwin was corrupted, I deleted the new c:\cygwin directory and
> the local copy of cygwin-1.5.21-2.tar.bz2. Then I downloaded a new copy of
> cygwin-1.5.21-2.tar.bz2 and the other files that came with it. Another
> installation attempt and the same failures.
>
> Then I stepped back to the 'previous' versions offered by the mirror and
> downloaded that group of packages.  (Unfortunately, that still includes the
> 1.5.21-2 version of cygwin but earlier versions of several other packages.) That
> installation went okay except for about twelve Error Starting Program windows
> reporting: "The BASH.EXE file is linked to missing export
> CYGREADLINE6.DLL:rl_variable_value" so the installation was not useable.
>
> In the interest of science I ran setup.exe again, this time only updating
> readline6. Setup finished without complaints but the original invalid page fault
> error in cygwin1.dll has returned. Cygcheck -c reports all files OK.
>
> The "Looking to see where common programs can be found..." section produced by
> cygcheck -s has improved as shown in the attached scheck.txt file.

Agreed.

> Should I try anything else?

I'm not sure.  Maybe look around on your system (using the Windows find
utility) to see if there is another cygwin*.dll on your system.  Short of
that or some divine inspiration on my end, I'm out of ideas, at least for
the moment.  I'm not a 98 user or much of a fan. ;-)

Holliston, MA 01746