Bash fails to run .bat file with spaces in pathname and argument

Sean Daley spdaley@gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 03:03:00 GMT 2006

On 10/11/06, Johnathon Jamison <> wrote:
> Respectfully, I think I know how shell quoting works.  If you look at
> the sample run, all spaces are properly escaped with either backslashes
> or double quotes.  The problem only surfaces when BOTH the program AND
> the argument have spaces, AND the program is a .bat file.  If you run
> what I have with only one item containing a space, or use a .sh script,
> things work.  Further, if you look at one of my examples, there is no
> space in the program being executed; the space is only present in the
> current working directory, and so clearly the proper quoting of the
> program is not at issue here.
>
> I have finally found someone else who has come across the same issue:
> http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2004-09/msg00081.html
> Apparently this is a bug in cygwin:
> http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2004-09/msg00145.html
> Is anybody working on this?
>
> Johnathon

Read further down that thread and you'll also see that people discovered some
additional horrifying things about windows cmd.

http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2004-09/msg00277.html

I'm not sure if it was ever fully decided that this was a cygwin bug since
windows cmd can also exhibit similar behavior.

I was the original poster back then.  I eventually just worked around
the issue by
writing a native executable that did the same things the batch job was
supposed to do.  Chris' suggestion of shell scripts also works as well.

Sean