Windows NTFS UCS2 characters

Brian Dessent brian@dessent.net
Thu Nov 30 18:15:00 GMT 2006

Igor Peshansky wrote:

> > So you're limited to ANSI filenames in the current codepage, I think.
>
> Not sure what ANSI means in this context (if you meant ASCII, or 7-bit,
> then the codepage reference makes no sense).  If the codepage is set
> correctly, Cygwin will read those files.

I meant ANSI in the context of the win32 API, i.e. -A/-W.  I realize
that ANSI here is not really the proper term, but I could not think of a
more compact way to say "filenames consisting entirely of code points
belonging to the current 8-bit code page."

http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2004/05/31/144893.aspx

Brian