ld: cannot perform PE operations on not PE files ...

Salvatore D'Angelo koala.gnu@tiscali.it
Tue Nov 14 09:59:00 GMT 2006

Brian and Dave,

thank for your answer. I will try both solutions. It seems to me that if
I install binutils-cross, then I could use the same Makefile for Linux
and CygWin. The only change should be

LD=...
AS=...

I tried to install this package from Internet setup, but I do not find
it. I searched in all the category. In Devel I found only normal
binutils. Please where I can get binutils-cross? Once I installed it how
I can configure it in order to use i686-pc-linux as target machine?

In the Dave solution I noticed the size of final image is 528 instead of
512 (the size of the bootsector) as in Linux. Why?

Thanks in advance for your help.