Mount command warning with latest cygwin1.dll snapshot

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad@users.sourceforge.net
Tue Nov 7 23:33:00 GMT 2006

Karl M wrote:
> Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> Karl M wrote:
>>> I just tried out the latest snapshot and my bat file to clean up my
>>> mounts now gives warning messages. The current released version of
>>> cygwin1.dll does not produce the warnings.
>>>
>>> Z:\>C:\Cygwin\bin\mount -f -s -b C:/Cygwin /
>>> cygwin warning:
>>>  MS-DOS style path detected: Z:\
>>>  Preferred POSIX equivalent is: /z
>>>  CYGWIN environment variable option "nodosfilewarning" turns off this
>>> warning.
>>>  Consult the user's guide for more details about POSIX paths:
>>>    http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#using-pathnames
>>
>> This looks like something is going wrong when running Cygwin programs
>> ('mount', at least) from a DOS prompt. Does this produce any output?
>>
>> Z:\> C:\Cygwin\bin\env | C:\Cygwin\bin\grep Z:
>
> Yes. It shows my HOMEDRIVE environment variable.

Huh, Cygwin shouldn't care about that AFAIK. I might be wrong, but your
later test does seem to point at $PWD/getcwd() as the culprit.

>> What happens if you run the file from a different directory? Does the
>> warning always reflect the current directory?
>
> Try a smaller and simple test. Type "mount -m" and look at the output.
>
> $ mount -m
> mount -f -s -b "C:/Cygwin/bin" "/usr/bin"
> mount -f -s -b "C:/Cygwin/lib" "/usr/lib"
> mount -f -s -b "C:/Cygwin" "/"
> mount -s -t --change-cygdrive-prefix "/"
>
> The above is my output from "mount -m".  Now type the mount command for
> the Cygwin root, in my case
>
> $ mount -f -s -b "C:/Cygwin" "/"
> cygwin warning:
>  MS-DOS style path detected: C:\Cygwin
>  Preferred POSIX equivalent is: /
>  CYGWIN environment variable option "nodosfilewarning" turns off this
> warning.
>  Consult the user's guide for more details about POSIX paths:
>    http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#using-pathnames

Huh. This was from a bash shell this time? It looks like 'mount' with
some set of those particular options is tripping this erroneously.

WCTS I have no idea why that would be. I am hoping someone more familiar
with 'mount' (Corinna, maybe?) will jump in here with some ideas (or you
could CTS yourself?).

> Reverting to the released cygwin1.dll eliminates the warning.

Probably because the current cygwin1.dll does not have this warning?

--
Matthew
"Try to bring it back in one piece this time." -- Q (MI6)