slow share = slow scripts?

mwoehlke mwoehlke@tibco.com
Fri May 26 16:07:00 GMT 2006

Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
>> From: mwoehlke
> [snip]
>>  Also, why *is*
>> fstat() so inefficient?
>
> Short answer:  because it gets a bunch of information about the file that
> isn't necessarily available without hitting (open()ing) the file itself.

Like... what? Inode information? Looking at the man page for 'stat' (on
Linux, anyway; apparently I don't have the libc man pages installed on
Cygwin), I don't see anything that I would expect to need to *open* the
file to retrieve.

Way way back in the OP, I mentioned that Interix doesn't have this
problem, which would imply a "design flaw" in Cygwin. Maybe (probably)
it is a *necessary* design flaw, BUT...

A while back I was thinking about tying Cygwin into the Interix
subsystem for the sake of certain file-system calls... and things like
fstat in particular. If the problem is that Cygwin's fstat
implementation requires opening the file and Interix's does not, this
just became a *very* compelling (for me, at least) argument to taking on
that project.

Please note that I'm not asking anyone to do this... given the response
I got last time, I don't have any illusions that this will happen short
of my doing it myself (at which point I will be derided, and my work
will never leave my office). However, I would appreciate any existing
knowledge, or even pointers to where to start poking around, that anyone
would care to share.

--
Matthew
Feed the hippo. Love the hippo. Run from the hippo.