Reading Term::ReadKey support for ActiveState Perl and Cygwin

mwoehlke mwoehlke@tibco.com
Mon May 22 18:46:00 GMT 2006

David Christensen wrote:
> Paul Dorman wrote:
>> I've been racking my brains trying to read keystrokes in a Cygwin
>> shell with ActiveState Perl.
>
> I recently evaluated Microsoft Services for Unix (SFU), which aims to
> provide a Unix subsystem and GNU tool chain running on top of the Windows
> kernel:
>
>     http://www.microsoft.com/technet/interopmigration/unix/sfu/default.mspx
>
> Here is a commercial company that is closely aligned with SFU (I don't quite
> understand the relationship):
>
>      http://www.interix.com/

As I understand, the folks at interix.com developed Interix 2.0,
originally known as OpenNT, until it was taken over by M$ around I
believe version 3.0. From Rodney's comments, it seems they are still
involved in the ongoing development and maintenance.

> I'm reasonably certain SFU uses ActiveState Perl.  I don't know if it's the
> standard ActiveState Perl we can download and install for Win32, or a
> special SFU build.

I just re-ran the installer for SFU. Right at the bottom is the option
to install "ActiveState PERL".

> Unfortunately, I ran into some deal-breaker issues with SFU:
>
> 1.  SFU sets a number of environment variables (including PATH), which
>     broke Cygwin Perl's ability to make modules.
>
> 2.  SFU uses Unix line endings by default.  I need tools that work with
>     DOS line endings.  The SFU developers think that line endings
>     should be dealt with on a per-application basis, not by the
>     tool chain.  Some tools do accept both Unix and DOS line endings.
>     The SFU developers were responsive to my request to get SFU Bash
>     working with DOS line endings, but it isn't ready yet:
>
>         http://www.interix.com/tools/tm.aspx?m=9028

Oh, so that's *YOU* I've been talking to on the interix.com forums. :-)

Welcome to the club. I went first down the Interix path and ran into a
mountain ("brick wall" doesn't begin to express the severity of my
problems). So now I'm back to Cygwin, which /works/.

(Any replies to this part, please TITTTL)

--
Matthew
All of my signatures are 100% original. Including this one.