service interact with desktop broken between: 1.5.5 & 1.5.19

Lev Bishop lev.bishop@gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 03:24:00 GMT 2006

On 3/26/06, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> Thanks Lev, I've integrated this into the new 1.13-1 version of
> cygrunsrv which I just uploaded to cygwin.com.

Thanks, Corinna. I can almost get it working now. Maybe you can
explain why this works:

$ cygrunsrv -I cygtest -jid 'cygrunsrv test' -p '/cygdrive/c/i386/cmd.exe' \
-0/dev/console -1/dev/console -2/dev/console

Giving me a console running cmd.exe that I can, for example run bash in.
Whereas it fails if I put -p '/bin/bash' directly for the command.

I experimented, and found that if I do the following:
$ cygrunsrv -I cygtest -jid 'cygrunsrv test' -p '/bin/bash' -a $'-c "\
echo this is on STDOUT;\
echo this is on STDERR >&2;\
ls -l /proc/self/fd;\
read -p \'Give me something on STDIN: \' input;\
echo input was $input " ' \
-0/dev/console -1/dev/console -2/dev/console

Then I get a console window showing the messages to stdout and stderr,
the /proc/self/fd listing confirms that fd0 is open on /dev/console,
but the 'read' builtin hangs and doesn't read anything. So it looks
like standard input isn't getting properly mapped in this case, even
though stdout and stderr are.

cygcheck.out attached in case it's relevant.

Lev