No effect of SE_BACKUP_NAME privilege on cygwin?

Christian Franke Christian.Franke@t-online.de
Wed Mar 1 22:06:00 GMT 2006

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Mar  1 20:28, Christian Franke wrote:
>
>> Enabling SE_BACKUP_NAME has no effect for cygwin programs.
>>

> You're expecting that you can use Windows functions in a POSIX
> application without disturbing the way Cygwin works.  That's a bit
> dangerous.

Agree.

(I tried to add a "regtool save ..." action to allow backup of registry
hives from scripts.
This calls RegSaveKey which needs SE_BACKUP_NAME.)

>   A Cygwin application's main thread is not running under the
> process token, but under a derived impersonation token.  This is true
> for every thread in Cygwin.  So, instead of using OpenProcessToken, you
> should be able to accomplish what you want by calling OpenThreadToken.

Yes, it works, thanks!

Already tried this before but gave up too early, because it didn't work
in the non-cygwin version ;-)
I didn't realize that the main thread has no token by default...

> However, I'm wondering if a Cygwin application should always try by
> itself to request the SE_BACKUP_NAME privilege.  It would simplify file
> access for all privileged processes.  Hmm.

Sounds reasonable.
SE_RESTORE_NAME is requested somewhere in the code, but not SE_BACKUP_NAME.

Christian