gmp and libiconv as mingw variant libraries under cygwin?

Brian Dessent brian@dessent.net
Thu Jun 29 06:46:00 GMT 2006

Christian Joensson wrote:

> I'm starting to look at cygwin for doing mingw "environment" variants
> of binutils and gcc, to test compile them.
>
> Now, starting with binutils, I do this:
>
> CC='gcc -mno-cygwin' CXX='g++ -mno-cygwin' ../src/configure i686-pc-mingw32

Specifying a non-option host triplet like that is ancient obsolete
syntax.  You really should use --host=i686-pc-mingw
--build=i686-pc-cygwin instead.  And for modern (2.5x+) autoconf
configure scripts you should specify all environment overrides on the
command line after configure:

path/to/configure --host=i686-pc-mingw32 --build=i686-pc-cygwin CC="gcc
-mno-cygwin" CXX="g++ -mno-cygwin" CFLAGS=... CXXFLAGS=... LDFLAGS=...
etc.

However in the specific case of binutils, the toplevel 'src' configure
is still stuck in the ancient 2.13 days, so you can't do overrides like
that, although you should still use --host/--build.  With modern
packages though, the above is the preferred way.

> I notice, but I really don't require it here, that gmp is missing. Is
> that, gmp as mingw variant under cygwin, available to download? If
> not, how would you suggest I configure, build and install them local
> to me?

The goal of the Cygwin project is not to support people using Mingw,
which is an entirely separate project with its own mirrors, mailing
list, etc.  So with a few exceptions (currently just zlib and bzip2) do
not expect to find mingw versions of any libraries on any Cygwin
mirrors.  It's just not a priority, and it would be a slippery slope to
go down to start offering packages in both flavors.

That is not to say that it wouldn't be possible that someone might
package mingw versions of various libraries and offer them on a
setup.exe-compatible mirror site, but they would be doing that as a
third party and any questions about use of such packages would not be
appropriate for this list.

With that out of the way, you should be able to build any library
yourself with little pain.  Just treat it as standard cross compilation,
using the appropriate configure flags, and it should work fine.  You
might want to configure all mingw libraries into their own --prefix that
is separate from /usr entirely.  This might require a little extra work
to always add e.g. CFLAGS="-I/opt/mingw/include"
LDFLAGS="-L/opt/mingw/lib" when configuring, but it will hopefully
prevent any headaches of mixing Cygwin and mingw libraries in a build
which would be somewhat catastrophic.

Brian