cygdrive flags / hiding cygdrive prefix directory (the old behavior)

Carl Christopher Edquist gatetman@gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 18:27:00 GMT 2006

On 6/15/06, Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] wrote:
> Does the following do what you want?
>         mount -u -b --change-cygdrive-prefix "/"

> Stepp, Charles wrote:
> >  Symlink?
> >
> > ln -s /cygdrive/c /c

No... Thanks but no.  Barry and Charles, i think you're answering a
different question.  This thread wasn't about changing the path for
the cygdrive prefix, but, rather, making it invisible to cygwin
programs.

Igor, about /cygdrive being created upon install:

> If anything does this, it will probably be a postinstall script that
> contains the string "cygdrive".  Grep through all .sh.done files in
> /etc/postinstall, and you'll likely find the culprit.

No luck with anything in /etc/postinstall.  Hmm...  not sure if anyone
will care enough to investigate this.

> > Do you think anyone at cygwin
> > would consider making this feature optional in a later release?
>
> They will probably consider it and reject it.  The spirit of open-source
> software is that you scratch what itches you, and others benefit.  This is
> not something that itches any of the Cygwin developers.  Hence,
> <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PTC>.
>
> If you do plan to submit a patch, I suggest looking at the
> fhandler_disk_file::readdir() function, and changing it to optionally
> remove the virtual /cygdrive directory according to a new cygdrive flag
> (and add a corresponding mount option).  That way, this behavior can be
> controlled according to people's tastes.

Thanks for the advice!

- Kral