rsh with command hangs, rlogin works

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Mon Jun 5 05:36:00 GMT 2006

Lars Björnfot wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>> but nothing ever logged anything to /var/log/messages 'cept start and
>> stop messages. ... how do you switch such services to log to there?
> Edit /etc/syslogd.conf to set the log level above which messages are
> included and to which logfile.
>
> I used what the installer gave me, log everything:
> (snip)
> #For a start, use this simplifed approach.
> *.* /var/log/messages
So did I. Failing that I uncommented the rest of them. Still nothing in
/var/log/messages (or any other /var/log file for that matter). Of
course I don't believe I tried rebooting...
> Note that rshd.exe did output anything until the segfault. And it was
> 'kernel' who trapped the segfault and logged it. If you
> get the inetutils sources you can do 'grep syslog rshd.c' to see what
> might appear.
I was hoping to avoid digging in that deeply. Also, we must remember
you're on XP (Home?) and I'm on 2003 Server...
>> Regarding in.rshd dying, I have seen in.rshd.stackdump's around.
> I see the segfault occur in rresvport() which I think is a MS system
> call. Debugging that seems ... well, hard.
>
> Someone in the Cygwin team might have better use of stackdumps...
It'd be better to hear from people who have this working on, in my case,
2003...
>> BTW Lars, how did you get rsh passwordless login configured via .rhosts?
> At my present machine I have no .rhosts. I use /etc/hosts.equiv with a
> single line:
>
> localhost
>
> to grant login from localhost, any user.
>
> On other machines I've used .rhosts and just insert host and username,
> maybe chmod 600.
Hmmm... I thought that permissions had to be at least o+r so that
in.rshd could read the users ~/.rhosts or /etc/hosts.equiv. Doesn't it
need read access *before* it can determine whether or not the switch
user should be allowed?
>> So while I have what I think is a validly formated ~/.rhosts it's
>> really //<server>/<share>/adefaria/.rhosts.
> My XP Home has benignly set USER=ägare (owner) and keeps it even
> though I changed my Windows name to bjornfot. On this machine I set
> HOME=/c/bjornfot.
>
> When I log in (rsh localhost) I still end up in the default
> /home/$USER. I used hosts.equiv just to avoid managing multiple
> .rhosts.
What I'm really doing is mounting //<server>/<share> -> /us (we have /us
and /china for US and China users) and then I put /us/adefaria in the
home field of /etc/passwd. Interestingly an ls -l of /us shows
permissions of 000!
>> I simply removed the password field in /etc/passwd.
> Hrm, I haven't attempted that ... :-)
I did that because making ~/.rhosts to work was problematic. For some
users it just wouldn't work. For others it would. I think that it was
whether or not the Windows ACLs were set such that Everybody had read
access to the users home directory or not. Never quite nailed that down
though and, of course, some people didn't want everybody to have read
access to their home directories. The workaround that I used was to
remove the passwords in /etc/passwd. However, now, on 2003, that causes
switch user to fail - probably due to 2003's tighter security....
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Home computers are being called upon to perform many new functions,