Problem using ftp with rxvt

Charles D. Russell worwor@bellsouth.net
Thu Jul 27 03:28:00 GMT 2006

     When ftp is opened in rxvt, some of the incoming text that should
be written to the screen is lost.  Simplest example: at shell prompt,
enter "ftp".  One does not get the ftp prompt, but one is indeed running
ftp, since if one next types "help" you get the header for the help
screen, with the rest of the help screen missing.  Again no ftp prompt,
but typing "quit" gets you back to the bash prompt. "type ftp" shows
that this is using the cygwin ftp, not the windows ftp.  ftp works ok
from the bash console, and rxvt seems to work ok for capturing local
output and for using vim with mark/copy/paste, but ftp and rxvt don't
work together.

     My problem is that when I try to get directory information on a
remote machine using ftp commands ls or dir, it scrolls off the bash
screen faster than I can read it.  On Unix, I used the command "script"
to deal with this problem, but there seems to be no "script" command in
cygwin. rxvt is the only way I know to capture output before it scrolls
away.  Without directory information, I can't navigate the remote machine.