Compiling euchre 0.7 n cygwin

mwoehlke mwoehlke@tibco.com
Thu Jul 20 19:28:00 GMT 2006

TITTTLing

Dave Korn wrote:
> On 20 July 2006 18:40, mwoehlke wrote:
>> Laurent Duperval wrote:
>>> Excellent! Changing the order of the libs fixed the problem.
>>>
>>> I ended up having to change it directly in the Makefile instead of
>>> Makefile.am (I probably could've done it in Makefile.in also).
>>>
>>> The reason I thought it was a Cygwin issue is that the same code
>>> compiles fine on Linux (except for a minor ifstream issue).
>> Right... Linux is forgiving about link order. Most platforms aren't.
>
>   Isn't it actually more to do with the fact that Linux tends to use shared
> libs, and so if the link order is wrong you get an executable with unresolved
> symbols in it, but then those unresolved symbols get resolved anyway at
> runtime when the library is loaded by ld.so, whereas here on cygwin we tend to
> use static link libs, even when we're linking against a .dll, and so don't get
> the equivalent 'second chance' to resolve?

Well, sure, and the fact that the linker *gives* you that second chance.
Most linkers will fail if there are unresolved symbols, so in that
sense, Linux ld is more forgiving. The order issue is that if you
specify the lib before the object, it doesn't know what to import from
the lib (but I think it stills makes a note that that lib should be
loaded, no?).

--
Matthew
"We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad... You must be, or you wouldn't