When ssh'd in, cannot run MS compiler /Zi debug option.

mwoehlke mwoehlke@tibco.com
Wed Jul 19 18:14:00 GMT 2006

Mark Charney wrote:
> I suspect I'm missing some "rights".  This is an issue for me
> on multiple machines running  Windows Server 2003 x64 or for
> 32b WinXP.
>
> When I try to compile using the debug-option (/Zi) to the
> Microsoft Visual Studio Pro 2005 compiler:
>     cl /Zi hello.cpp
> it only works from within cygwin if I am on the console or
> remote desktop. If I ssh-in to the same machine, it fails with
> a error message:
>
>      Fatal Error C1902: Program database manager mismatch; please
>      check your installation.
>
> Compiling without /Zi works fine anywhere we try it. My best guess is
> that it has to do with some RPC rights required for the debug-symbol
> file (PDB) generation done by the mspdb80.dll . That DLL uses RPC to
> talk to the mspdbsrv.exe.
>
> Any ideas? Is this a problem because the compiler running as my via
> ssh doesn't have sufficient rights to talk RPC to the mspdbsrv.exe ?

Actually, you might want to read
<http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=357051&SiteID=1>.

This seems to be a problem with cl.exe, NOT Cygwin (and yes, I have the
exact same problem). At the very least, Interix's SSH has the same
issue. There is supposed to be a hotfix, the name of which is mentioned
in another thread linked via the above thread, but you have to go
through Microsoft support to get it :-(.

(If you do get it, I would really appreciate a copy :-).)

Alternatively, if you figure out how to fix this without the hotfix, I
trust you will mention it here.

--
Matthew
Now where did I put my hippo?