CreateFileMapping problem but Win32 error is 0

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Wed Jul 19 06:35:00 GMT 2006

I am helping a client install a new server and we use a process that
essentially does an rsh <machine> make. The make process is fairly
complicated. The new server is a Windows 2003 Server. There is no RDP
involved - just an rsh. I'm getting errors like:

      3 [main] bash 14596 C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe: *** fatal error -
C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe: *** CreateFileMapping
Global\cygwin1S4.cygpid.4648, Win32 error 0.

I've seen some posts regarding an error similar to this but it usually
involves and RDP session and an error code of 5 but here I have no RDP
session and the error code is strangely 0.

The other thing that is odd is that in the process of make some of the
compilations will fail as the above and others won't. IOW it's
intermittent. Also it's not always bash that dies. Sometimes it's make:

      4 [main] make (11352) C:\cygwin\bin\make.exe: *** fatal error -
C:   bin\make.exe: *** CreateFileMapping Global\cygwin1S4.cygpid.11352,
Win32   .  Terminating.

Since the return code is 0 the make continues onward obliviously.

Another interesting aspect is that if the user who is rsh'ing is added
to the local Administrators group then all these errors disappear.

Note that people have passwordless rsh access to the server.

I've attached a cygcheck -srv for the Windows 2003 server.

Any ideas?

--

Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
A day without sunshine is like night.