C++ program only compiles if -mno-cygwin specified

Eric Lilja mindcooler@gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 21:51:00 GMT 2006

Hello, I'm using a fully updated cygwin and it seems that it puts macros
named BIG_ENDIAN and LITTLE_ENDIAN into global scope if include <stdio.h>
(or <cstdio>). If the program is compiled with -mno-cygwin, these macros are
not present. This prevented me from compiling a third party library
out-of-the-box. Here's a condensed test case that will only compile in
MinGW-mode:
#include <cstdio>

int
main()
{
   enum TArch1 {LITTLE_ENDIAN};
   enum TArch2 {BIG_ENDIAN};
}

Maybe these macros need not to be in global scope for cygwin to function or
maybe I can do something else and still compile the third party library
under cygwin without editing the library code?

/ E