GCC programming: header pthread not found but installed

Tim Prince timothyprince@sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 10 03:13:00 GMT 2006

Serethos wrote:
> I want to program with gcc and the Posix-Thread library under XP via
> Cygwin. But the very basic program
>
> #include <pthread.h>
> int main()
> {
>    return 0;
> }
>
> fails with a gcc call like:
> gcc test.c -lpthread
>
> with the
> error: pthread.h: no such file or directory
>
> But the header does exist in the \usr\include directory, also the
> library itself (libpthread.a) is located under
> the directory \cygwin\lib. At least I checked my Windows environment
> variables, there both directories are
> set. The thing I am irritated is that standard includes like math.h are
> in the same directory (\usr\include) and
> I can work with them.
I think someone already tried to respond, before this post came to my
e-mail server.  This mailing list is about cygwin and the gcc which is
installed with it, not about some other compiler which you might have
installed.  Windows environment variables have no bearing on cygwin gcc.
  If you install cygwin gcc normally, its own include directory should
be mounted at /usr/include.  Following the advice in the URLs at the
bottom of your post would enable people to see whether you installed
cygwin properly.  I don't know whether installing some include directory
in a similar looking Windows directory would interfere, but it's best to
install compilers in the intended ways, particularly when that assures
they don't interfere with each other.