configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler

Dave Korn dave.korn@artimi.com
Thu Jul 6 22:53:00 GMT 2006

On 06 July 2006 21:57, Brian Dessent wrote:

> Bhagwan Anjanappa wrote:
>
>> conftest.c  1>&5 gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `as': No such
>> file or directory configure: failed program was:
>
> Binutils contains the assembler (as) which is required to use gcc.  Your
> problem therefore is that either you did not install binutils or the
> installation failed.  (I don't know how one can manage to install gcc
> without binutils though, because the setup.exe tool should have selected
> binutils for you when you selected gcc, and it should have loudly
> complained that there was an unmet dependency if you overrode its
> choice.)

... and so the best thing to do is run setup.exe again, and it should
automatically select binutils (use the install-from-internet option) and
install it for you, but it wouldn't hurt to double-check in the package
chooser's 'partial' view that binutils is listed to be installed.

  If it still doesn't work then, run "cygcheck -svr >cygcheck.out" in a bash
shell, and send the resulting cygcheck.out file as an attachment with your

    cheers,
      DaveK