1.5.19-4 exec family of functions find wrong file to execute

Dave Korn dave.korn@artimi.com
Tue Jan 31 18:50:00 GMT 2006

On 31 January 2006 17:58, Igor Peshansky wrote:

>> I ran the testcase from ~/testcases directory. I believe my cygwin.out
>> file indicates /home is mounted from D:\home (HOME=/home/test). Also,
>> D: is NTFS.  Also, there is nothing special about mount point (no -x
>> flag was used).  This is all shown in cygwin.out.
>
> Then you'll just have to run this under strace, and see why it selects
> 	that file to execute. Igor

  I'll just add at this point that when I went back over the thread (looking for that cygcheck.out), I found your test case and
can't exactly reproduce your results:

dk@rainbow /test/exec> gcc test2.c -o test2
dk@rainbow /test/exec> PATH=/usr/bin:.
dk@rainbow /test/exec> test2 nopathnoext
NoPath
dk@rainbow /test/exec> touch echo
dk@rainbow /test/exec> ls -l echo
-rw-r--r--  1 dk Domain Users 0 Jan 31 18:32 echo
dk@rainbow /test/exec> test2 nopathnoext
NoPath
dk@rainbow /test/exec> PATH=.:/usr/bin
dk@rainbow /test/exec> test2 nopathnoext
nopathnoext: Permission denied
dk@rainbow /test/exec> rm -f echo
dk@rainbow /test/exec> echo garbage > echo
dk@rainbow /test/exec> test2 nopathnoext
nopathnoext: Permission denied
dk@rainbow /test/exec> ls -l echo
-rw-r--r--  1 dk Domain Users 8 Jan 31 18:33 echo
dk@rainbow /test/exec> test2 nopathext
NoPathExt
dk@rainbow /test/exec> test2 path
Usage: test2 nopathnoext|nopathext|pathnoext|pathext
dk@rainbow /test/exec>

  This is at least partly down to the fact that you either a) forged your results rather than cutting and pasting them or b)
attached a different program from the one you actually used as a testcase when you sent your email!

    cheers,
      DaveK