rsync: skipping overly long name

Morten Kjarulff MKJ@dk.ibm.com
Thu Jan 26 11:57:00 GMT 2006

Hello,

I am trying to use rsync to copy a directory tree to a remote host, and I
get the following message:

skipping overly long name: WBI-Web-Site Drawings
backup/WBI-Web-Site_21-10-2004/TEST-MQDATA/MQ/IQD4(D5) - Request
Replies/SAFROETQ - SAMME QMGR I TEST/PRS FRONTENDs/UndoCluster
DISPLAY/SAFROETQ-DEMO-RmClus-2-RemoveReceiverChFromCluster.txt.bak
skipping overly long name: WBI-Web-Site Drawings
backup/WBI-Web-Site_21-10-2004/TEST-MQDATA/MQ/IQD4(D5) - Request
Replies/SAFROETQ - SAMME QMGR I TEST/PRS FRONTENDs/UndoCluster
DISPLAY/SAFROETQ-DEMO-RmClus-3-DeleteSenderAndReceiverCh.txt.bak

I tried to google it, and it seems that the limit is is MAXPATHLEN. It also
seems that MAXPATHLEN is smaller under cygwin than under other systems.

Is this true?
What is the limit?
Is there a way that I can come around it (other than renaming my files ;-)?

Thanks,
Morten

(See attached file: cygcheck.out)