Can't delete directories on mapped drive

Hugh Crissman hcrissman@secure-mind.net
Fri Jan 20 23:15:00 GMT 2006

I am running XP SP2. I have a drive mapped (s:). See mount output. It is a
NAS drive that supports smb.

$ mount
D:\Program Files\NX Client for Windows\usr\X11R6\lib\X11\fonts on
/mnt/NX/fonts type user (text
mode)
C:\Documents and Settings\Hugh\.nx\tmp on /tmp type user (textmode)
D:\Program Files\NX Client for Windows on /usr/NX type user (textmode)
C:\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type system (binmode)
C:\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type system (binmode)
C:\cygwin on / type system (binmode)
c: on /c type system (binmode,noumount)
d: on /d type system (binmode,noumount)
e: on /e type system (binmode,noumount)
s: on /s type system (binmode,noumount)

I can read and write to the /s drive and I can delete individual files but I
can't delete folders (rm -rf example.file) from the cygwin command line. I
get the followning error.

$ rm -rf /s/test/
rm: cannot remove directory `/s/test/': Directory not empty

I can delete this folder if I use windows explorer. I also mounted this same
directory from one of my linux boxes and have no problem reading, writing,
and deleting directories. This is very odd. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Hcrissman