Wich privileges required by ssh-host-config running user?

Chris Taylor chris@equate.dyndns.org
Wed Jan 18 17:05:00 GMT 2006

Dave Korn wrote:
> Chris Taylor wrote:
>
>>Dave Korn wrote:

>>>  Probably a domain user would suffice.  It might be best if the domain
>>>user account was made a "Power User" in the machine's local user
>>>accounts.
>

>>I'm not sure that power users have the ability to change ownership in
>>this way..
>

>   Actually, I'm not sure either.  If "Power Users" isn't enough, it would need
> to be a local admin.
>

>>It may be that you would be required to use a domain
>>administrator account to install and to set up any services you wished
>>to use, though I could be mistaken. I'd have to test it to see.
>

>   No, the issue is not what rights you have in the domain, but what rights the
> domain user has over the local machine.  Domain admins are automatically
> admins over the local machine, and domain users are not, but domain users can
> be made into local admins by anyone with admin rights over the machine (such
> as the local admin) and it doesn't require domain admin rights.
>
>   Basically, nothing you need to do to an individual machine should ever need
> domain admin rights.  It's about _local_ rights.
>

>     cheers,
>       DaveK

Good point.
However, it is potentially possible that the 'administrator' account on
the local machine is locked down, without adversely affecting the
administrators group, which could potentially cause the issues described
by the OP - it would depend on the various group policy settings and
such though.

It might be worth having the OP test manually changing the owner in both
cygwin and windows if cygwin fails..

ATTN OP:
Cygwin: chown SYSTEM ssh_host_*
Windows: Select files, right click, properties, Security, Advanced,
Owner, 'Choose other user' (or something to that effect), then specify
SYSTEM and hit OK until you're back at explorer.
Please note that the windows method is only valid (afaik) on win2k3 servers.

Chris
--

Spinning complacently in the darkness, covered and blinded by a blanket
of little lives, false security has lulled the madness of this world