"replaced while being copied" - was ... RE: Solved partially by findutils 4.3 - RE: "inode changed", ...

Jan Schormann jan.schormann@brainlab.com
Wed Jan 18 15:05:00 GMT 2006

Eric wrote on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 3:14 PM:

> Can you convince your mailer to attach text files with a MIME type of
> text, rather than application/octet-stream?

Ouch! Thanks for the hint.
Alas, the only selection I can find is {Default, MIME, UUEncode,
BINHEX}.
I'm trying it as .txt this time using "Default". Is that better?
Otherwise I'll look for a different mail client for this list.

> > ----
> > ~$ echo blub > //desdata2/universal/Sourcecode/test.txt
> > ~$ cp -f //desdata2/universal/Sourcecode/test.txt /cygdrive/f/tmp
> > ~$ mv //desdata2/universal/Sourcecode/test.txt
> > //desdata2/universal/Sourcecode/test.exe
> > ~$ cp -f //desdata2/universal/Sourcecode/test.exe /cygdrive/f/tmp
> > cp: skipping file
> `//desdata2/universal/Sourcecode/test.exe', as it was
> > replaced while being copied
> > ----
> >
> > The exe file is not copied, by the way.
> >
> > These are consistent when I install 1.5.19-2 etc.
> > After downgrading to 1.5.18-1, I'm back to usual.
>
> Are they present in cygwin 1.5.19-2/coreutils-5.3.0-9?  If so, it is
> something that change in how cygwin performs stat() on
> network shares (and there were changes made in that arena).

Still here:

----
~$ echo blub > //desdata2/universal/Sourcecode/test.txt
~$ cp -f //desdata2/universal/Sourcecode/test.txt /f/tmp
~$ mv //desdata2/universal/Sourcecode/test.txt
//desdata2/universal/Sourcecode/test.exe
~$ cp -f //desdata2/universal/Sourcecode/test.exe /f/tmp
cp: skipping file `//desdata2/universal/Sourcecode/test.exe', as it was
replaced while being copied
----

> In which case, an strace may be interesting to show why stat()
> is giving different inodes on the same network share file when it
> has not been modified.

Does this help? See attachment.

----
~$ strace cp -f //desdata2/universal/Sourcecode/test.exe /f/tmp >&
/f/tmp/cp-strace.txt
----

> Also, do you know what filesystem (NFS, Samba, etc.) is on
> //desdata1/divisions/ and //desdata2/universal/?  This will
> probably be relevant, but Corinna will have to chime in here
> (as I cannot reproduce the problem).

Hm, I know it's a Network Appliance filer, and I guess they have
their own file system (but could dig deeper, if you like). Anyway,
I'm using it as a "mapped network drive" so I'm guessing SMB (where
else can I look?), while the Windows explorer "Properties" dialog calls
it "NTFS". Oh, in case this makes a difference: "/f" is a local NTFS
partition.

HTH,
	Jan.