problems with running Gnome applications

Alessandro Lendaro lendaro@basic.net
Thu Jan 12 11:17:00 GMT 2006

hi everybody.
I'd like to have a clue on how can get Gnome and Gtk applications work
on cygwin.

It would be cool to have a clean and as complete as possible tutorial/wiki
with infos about installing Gnome and applicationso n cygwin and make
them work.

I got many problems with gconfd (errors like this:
"No database available to save your configuration: Unable to store a
value at key '/apps/evince/sidebar_size', as the configuration server
has no writable databases. There are some common causes of this problem:
1) your configuration path file /etc/gconf/2/path doesn't contain any
databases or wasn't found 2) somehow we mistakenly created two gconfd
processes 3) your operating system is misconfigured so NFS file locking
doesn't work in your home directory or 4) your NFS client machine
crashed and didn't properly notify the server on reboot that file locks
should be dropped. If you have two gconfd processes (or had two at the
time the second was launched), logging out, killing all copies of
gconfd, and logging back in may help. If you have stale locks, remove
~/.gconf*/*lock. Perhaps the problem is that you attempted to use GConf
from two machines at once, and ORBit still has its default configuration
that prevents remote CORBA connections - put "ORBIIOPIPv4=1" in
/etc/orbitrc. As always, check the user.* syslog for details on problems
gconfd encountered. There can only be one gconfd per home directory, and
it must own a lockfile in ~/.gconfd and also lockfiles in individual
storage locations such as ~/.gconf"

i cant execute bluefish
( "Bad system call" message)

etcetera.

I have Win 2003 server and latest Cygwin/Cygwin ports installation.

Thanks, Alessandro