permissions and ACLs

Holger Krull holger.krull@gmx.de
Tue Jan 10 16:29:00 GMT 2006

Ken Senior schrieb:
> Btw, to further help diagnose, I notice the "read-only" box is shaded
> and checked for the C:\cygwin directory.  I have repeatedly (as
> administrator on the machine) tried to uncheck this box.  The dialog at
> first appears to let me uncheck it, but when I go back into the dialog,
> the "read-only" box is still checked, and shaded.  Some other sentient
> entity is stubbornly controlling permissions on this directory.  You
> would think administrator on the machine can do what he wants, but alas
> no!  -K

That doesn't mean the has to be readonly. The readonly box in explorer isn't a reliable way to determine the settings on file/directory. Having some inherited rights seems to trigger that display. Ask the programmers of explorer about that.
To view the permissions on a file/directory use cmd.exe with attrib and cacls.