Help : can not get cron work

lin q linq936@hotmail.com
Thu Jan 5 22:12:00 GMT 2006

> [...]
>
>> > From: Brian Dessent <brian@XXXXXXX.XXX>
>> > To: cygwin@XXXXXX.XXX
>
><http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.  Thanks.
>
>> > Subject: Re: Help : can not get cron work
>> > Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 18:00:46 -0800

>> > You should run /usr/bin/cron-config, and not try to do this by hand
>> > because there is much more to do than just installing the service.

>>/cygdrive/c/bin/tools
>> >
>> > That is not the proper format of a user's crontab line.  There is no
>> > such "username" field as the fifth field in a user's crontab, it
>> > should just be "16 10 * * * rsync ...".  It was trying to execute a
>> > command named "linq" that does not exist, and there should be errors
>> > to this effect in the Windows Event Log.  See "man 5 crontab".
>
>Yep, I missed that...
>
>> > Also realize that if you do not have system-wise mounts and Cygwin in
>> > the PATH the above will not work.  This would have been evident if you
>> > attached the cygcheck output as requested in
>> > <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>.
>>
>>OK, I re-installed cron using /usr/bin/cron-config and I corrected
>>crontab by removing that "linq".
>>
>>It still does not work.
>>
>>I tried a Hello Wold test with the following crontab line,
>>
>>* * * * * /bin/date > /tmp/date.out 2>&1
>>
>>It works fine.
>
>Good.
>
>>Now I come to suspect something of Cygwin setup. But I can not see
>>anything wrong in log file of cygcheck. I attach the file.
>>
>>One thing to note, when I run cygcheck, it exits with an error,
>> > cygcheck -svr > /tmp/cygcheck.log
>>cygcheck: dump_sysinfo: GetVolumeInformation() failed: 1231
>>
>>Is this a problem?
>
>Nope.  Error 1231 means "The network location cannot be reached.".  Must
>be a network drive.
>
>>Another thing, I checked the Windows event loger and I see some
>>"Information" on crontab, here is the dump out:
>>
>>The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( /usr/sbin/cron ) cannot
>>be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry
>>information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote
>>computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this
>>description; see Help and Support for details. The following information
>>is part of the event:
>
>This is just junk that the Event Viewer adds when it doesn't know how to
>parse the event data.  You can safely ignore it.
>
>>/usr/sbin/cron : PID 6064 : (linq) CMD (rsync -azv
>>emperor:/dev/swtools/* /cygdrive/c/bin/swtools).
>
>And this is just cron informing you exactly which job it was trying to
>run.
>
>>Do you understand what it is about?
>
>Looking at the cron job, there could be a few possibilities for failure:
>cron doesn't find rsync; the wildcard gets expanded too early; rsync has
>output that cron doesn't know where to send because you don't have an smtp
>daemon running...  At least your mounts look ok.  Try eliminating the
>possibilities above by fixing your cron job...
Thanks.

I did some correction, now here is my crontab:

>crontab -l
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE - edit the master and reinstall.
# (/tmp/crontab.4232 installed on Thu Jan  5 15:02:10 2006)
# (Cron version -- $Id: crontab.c,v 1.8 2004/12/21 16:14:41 corinna Exp $)
* * * * * /usr/bin/rsync -azv emperor:/devl/swtools c:/bin/swtools

Again I tested that the command, "/usr/bin/rsync -azv emperor:/devl/swtools
c:/bin/swtools" works fine if I type it on shell.

I still can not make it work.

The last suggestion you give is about smtp daemon, I do not quite
understand. Could you elabrate on that?

One last thing, /var/log/cron.log only says "[628] cron started". I wonder
where I can get more data on how on the earch the command is run.

Any idea?