ping

Gerrit P. Haase freeweb@nyckelpiga.de
Thu Jan 5 16:21:00 GMT 2006

Ivan wrote:

> Many thanks; cross-building from another directory did in fact
> eliminate my problem. Anybody want a report saying that cross-build is
> required on Cygwin but not on any (of several) other systems? I admit
> the bell is more interesting  :-)

It is usual way to build any package outside of the source directory in
a separate build directory, it is a well known fact for packages using
Cygnus configure and for GCC it is stated in the README somewhere, don't
know if binutils makes this clear in the README.  At least for gcc it is
a requirement since it will fail when trying to build inside the source
directory.  If this works for you on another platform, you're a lucky
man.  IMO every package not supporting builds outside the source tree is
buggy.

Gerrit
--
=^..^=                                     http://nyckelpiga.de/donate.html