Help : can not get cron work

Brian Dessent brian@dessent.net
Thu Jan 5 02:00:00 GMT 2006

lin q wrote:

>   1) "cygrunsrv -I cron -p /usr/sbin/cron -a –D"

You should run /usr/bin/cron-config, and not try to do this by hand
because there is much more to do than just installing the service.

>             16 10 * * * linq  rsync -azv emperor:/dev/tools/*
> /cygdrive/c/bin/tools

That is not the proper format of a user's crontab line.  There is no
such "username" field as the fifth field in a user's crontab, it should
just be "16 10 * * * rsync ...".  It was trying to execute a command
named "linq" that does not exist, and there should be errors to this
effect in the Windows Event Log.  See "man 5 crontab".

Also realize that if you do not have system-wise mounts and Cygwin in
the PATH the above will not work.  This would have been evident if you
attached the cygcheck output as requested in
<http://cygwin.com/problems.html>.

Brian