Shells hang during script execution

Paul Clements paul.clements@steeleye.com
Fri Feb 24 20:36:00 GMT 2006

On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 04:40:33PM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:

 > Actually, I spoke too soon.  I don't understand your analysis.
 > You make this statement:

 >>However, if the queueing of the blocked signal happens right after the
 >>signal mask change, then we miss the signal.

 > but I don't understand how you came to this conclusion.  If the
signal > mask
 > changes, then the queue should be flushed -- that's what the
__SIGFLUSH is
 > for.  So, even if something is added to the queue while the mask is
changing,
 > the function which changes the mask should eventually call send_sig
to > cause
 > the wait_sig thread to run the queue.

 > So, this patch would seem to be a band-aid over some other problem.

OK, I think I see what is happening now:

set_signal_mask() does indeed call sig_dispatch_pending() to do a flush
when the signal mask changes. However, when the sigq is empty,
sig_dispatch_pending() just returns! See:

  sig_dispatch_pending (bool fast)
  {
-if (exit_state || &_my_tls == _sig_tls || !sigq.start.next)
+if (exit_state || &_my_tls == _sig_tls)

Unfortunately, when I make this change, everything hangs. Not sure what
the issue is there. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Paul

(please CC, I'm not on the list)