once more unto the breech - still hanging, but I have a little more info.

Peter Rehley peter@rehley.net
Thu Feb 9 00:26:00 GMT 2006

On Jan 11, 2006, at 2:19 PM, Peter Rehley wrote:

> On Jan 10, 2006, at 6:23 PM, Christopher Faylor wrote:

<snip>
>> <obligatory-often-ignored-request>
>> So, please try a snapshot and report problems.  Please indicate
>> whether
>> the problem is a regression from 1.5.18 or previous snapshots and
>> please
>> respond to this message when reporting a problem.  Don't start a new
>> thread.  Please always provide cygcheck output even if you think
>> you've
>> already done it recently.  Please provide exact details to
>> duplicate a
>> problem - a simple program indicating the problem is ideal.
>> </obligatory-often-ignored-request>
>
> It's a rather difficult bug to reproduce, but I'm still seeing the
> hang up with the test_configure script.  I seem to be getting it
> about once every 2000 iterations of the program.  The thread where
> I mentioned this problem is http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2005-11/
> msg00000.html
>
> The script can be restarted by using the process.exe program
> (http://www.beyondlogic.org/solutions/processutil/processutil.htm)
> using the restart option.
>
> When I run the test_configure script, after about 2000 iterations
> it will hang.  If I do a ps -ef I can see several running sh
> commands from the script. I pick the one that doesn't have any
> children and cat /proc/<pid>/cmdline and it show <defunct>.  Then I
> cat the winpid and use the process program to restart.  This causes
> things to start running again.
>
> Occasionally I will see that there is a child process (i.e. sort,
> not another sh)  If I try to cat the cmdline the cat process seems
> to hang;  I can only kill cat with the task manager.  However, I
> can still cat the winpid and when I do the process restart, things
> start running again.  This behavior is fairly new.  I have noted
> that it was the 12/22/2005 snapshot.  But I didn't try the 12/21,
> 12/20 or 12/19 snapshots.
>
> The machine is a windows 2000 with sp4.  Dual processor at 933Mhz.

I tried the 20060206 snapshot, and managed to get an strace log when
it hung and after I resumed it.  I couldn't get gdb to attach to the
hung process though so I couldn't get any gdb information.

Also in the snapshot I noticed new behavior.  When I ran the test
script and did a build (bash conf) in another window, the test script
segfaulted.  I have the stackdump of that sh.exe plus the addr2line
output.  In the 20060205 snapshot this didn't occur.

Peter