OpenSSH: differences for public key and password authentication

Thu Dec 21 14:04:00 GMT 2006

Jasper Moeller wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm sure I had found some references to this before, but I'm completely
> unable to dig them out again, so please bear with me.
>
> We are using cygwin+openssh for remote logins from linux onto an WinXP
> machine, which we use for automated build processes. We set up public
> key authentication successfully, however, there seem to be some
> differences between publickey authentication and password authentication
> - mainly, when using the public key, several permissions are
> wrong/missing/whatsoever. On problem is when trying to access network
> shares (we use AFS, just to complicate matters further...), the other
> manifests itself when trying to run several .NET applications (NDoc and
> especially signtool.exe). We can work around most ones, except for the
> signtool issue :-(
>
> I'd really hate going back to password logins since this basically
> prevents fully automated builds, so is there any way around it? Probably
> some server misconfiguration which I can't find out?
>
> SSH server config excerpt:
>
> - Uses privilege separation
> - service starts as SYSTEM account
> - CYGINW=ntsec
> - Rest as suggested by ssh-host-config

<http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.using.shares>

Or, if you prefer the cutting edge:

<http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin-developers/2006-11/msg00000.html>

Read this thread and others on the Cygwin list that have tried this before
proceeding.

Holliston, MA 01746