Weird cosmetic bug after viewing bash man page

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad@users.sourceforge.net
Thu Dec 14 23:38:00 GMT 2006

Aaron Humphrey wrote:
> On 12/14/06, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> Does this only happen with the bash manpage, or do you see it with other
>> manpages as well?
>
> It seems to vary.  I see it with 'man vim' and 'man printf' after the
> first screen, for instance, but not with 'man man', unless I pick just
> the right line.  Which makes it seem less likely that it's a problem
> with the man page formatting.  In all the cases which cause the
> problem, the last bit of text on the screen is highlighted, but it
> shouldn't be.

Yes, that sounds right... like either an attribute is not being cleared,
or even that they are backwards. Um... would this by chance happen any
time a bold word gets hyphenated? (Just a WAG.)

>> Btw, what versions of groff and less do you have installed? Also, what
>> is the output of 'man -d bash' (just the part after 'not executing
>> command:', please)?
>
> less is 381-1, as I listed previously;

Sorry, missed that...

> groff is 1.18.1-2.

Ok, same as me.

But... I only have man-1.5p. Maybe 'man' is the problem?

> The output you're after is, I presume:
>
>  (cd "/usr/share/man" && (echo ".pl 11i"; /usr/bin/cat
> '/usr/share/man/man1/bash.1') | /usr/bin/tbl | /usr/bin/nroff -Tlatin1
> -mandoc | /usr/bin/less -isrR)

Hmm. What happens if you enter exactly that, but 's/-Tlatin1/-c/'? (Did
you say you are using WCLI*/rxvt/xterm...?)

HEY! If I do likewise but making the opposite substitution, mine breaks!
  It looks like '-Tlatin1' is the problem. IIRC you can fix this by
editing man.conf, but we need to either change it back in the official
package or figure out why it is breaking. (I'm using Console, which is
effectively WCLI).

(* WCLI = Windows Command Line Interface, i.e. 'the DOS window')

> Interesting.  Where does the '.pl 11i' bit come from?  It's not in
> man.conf...is it hardcoded, or hiding in my environment somewhere?

Might be hard-coded, there are a few things like that. Line length, for
instance, if your screen is not 80 columns.

--
Matthew
What? This signature /again/?