FIX for : skipping overly long name error

Fri Dec 8 20:15:00 GMT 2006

Steeve Juair wrote:
> Hello,
>           I currently have a problem about rsync and long file name
> limit in RSYNC. I used rsync+ssh for backup remote windows server. The
> problem that I would like to know if you have new version or a path
> avaible to solve this problem about the max length 260 characters.
>
> For this error :building file list ... skipping overly long name:
>
> I found since the rsync version 2.6.7 you have increase the buffer size
> for solve some problems with cygwin. Also I have installed the last
> version of cynwin and replace for the last version of  cwrsync 2.6.9 and
> I have the same problem again.
>
> Cut for rsync 2.6.7 news
>
>  - Some buffer sizes were expanded a bit, particularly on systems where
>       MAXPATHLEN is overly small (e.g. cygwin).
>
> I found your answer on malling list :
> http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2005-04/msg00395.html
>
> So did you have a solution for that

As the posting above that you referenced indicates, there is no solution for
this that will work with Win9x/Me versions of Windows.  There is the solution
mentioned for other Windows versions but it's quite some work to make this
happen.  Since Cygwin is dropping support for Win9x/Me versions, it's now
more reasonable to solve this problem but <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#SHTDI>.

Holliston, MA 01746