Color Schemes

mwoehlke mwoehlke@tibco.com
Thu Aug 31 15:14:00 GMT 2006

(Still can't decide if I should TITTTL this...)

Dave Korn wrote:
>   AFAIUI, the mapping of escape codes to which visual colours they mean is
> utterly fixed by ANSI, and it is, as you say, the termulator's job to display
> the correct visual colour.  We could attempt in cygwin's console-handling code
> to look up the current console's current palette and attempt some kind of
> best-fit matching, at least in theory, but there's still the old SHTDI problem
> there....

Eh? It's not fixed in any way. It is entirely up to the terminal
emulator to decide what color to display e.g. '1;35' as. The *default*
and accepted standard is "magenta", which is '255,0,255' in Windows CUI,
something more like '255,96,255' on a 'real IBM terminal' (i.e. an x86
running in real text mode, like back in the day, or like pure console
mode on Linux, or like in the BIOS boot, etc). But there is no reason I
can't tell my terminal emulator (CUI, Console, rxvt, Konsole, probably
xterm) to display it as sea green (say, '64,128,224'). Just as there is
no reason I can't tell my terminal emulator that '0;30' should be dark
green (which I do with Konsole in one of my schema's). I can even make
it transparent and have my wallpaper, or a background image, displayed
instead. All the color code is, is a hint to the terminal emulator.

...and I am not aware of any way to examine the terminal's "palette",
nor should you need to. If a user wants to fiddle with these, it is his
responsibility to keep things legible.

--
Matthew
We apologize for the inconvenience.